Monday, March 05, 2007


Mountain Songs

A couple of weeks ago I was listening to the NPR about the diminishing culture of Hmongs (also known as Miao), an ethnic minority in China. They live in mountainous areas and have quite different customs from the majority Han Chinese.

One such tradition is a singing ritual in courtship called Mountain Songs.

A comment of an old Gao (boss or leader) struck a chord in me

"Han Chinese don't sing mountain songs," he says. "They look at a partner's talents, their figure, their weight, their family property, etc. But we find a partner through singing. Even if someone is very ugly, the main thing is if they can sing, then they might be able to show love. People who are too good-looking just love themselves."


I thought it was very interesting how traditional Hmongs place more weight on their partner’s ability to express love than how lovable the partners are to them.


I guess I’m more like Han Chinese when it comes to looking at a potential love interest. I wonder which approach brings more satisfaction in the end, though.

♪♪How well can I sing for him (whoever that might be)?♪♪

2 Comments:

Blogger Amber Rae Watts said...

That's so romantic. "we find a partner through singing" Music has always been really important to me, but to put it so simply just makes me smile :)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Megumi said...

Thank you for comments, gamalael & amber!

This article made me think about the way I look for my partner... I might have missed somebody really good for me, blinded by things that don't amount to much in the end.

At the same time, it made me wonder how adept I am at expressing my love to others. I get so caught up in how I look or if I "have it together" etc...

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home