Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I Corinthian 10:13 (Cont’d)

I was reading another entry in the same blog I mentioned previously. Her blog is an inspirational bonanza.

In the blog, my friend talked about a conversation she had with her friend. First they were talking about the John Newton’s song (“Conflicting Feelings”) and it led her friend to share difficulties she was going through in her life. Marital problems, challenges in raising children, disappointing experiences in church… My friend mentioned how we may talk about bad events happening in our lives, but we often don’t go into feelings we have about them.

Maybe we are reluctant to be open about our feelings because we feel ashamed of having certain feelings or are afraid of being judged. I’ve been blessed with friends I can share my honest feelings with, but in the past I heard my share of “I think you just need to trust God more” and “Have you been praying about it enough?” type of comments directed to myself and others. I’m sure I’ve done the same to others, time to time. After a few experiences like that, we realize resorting to the sterilized approach to hardships in our lives can be a necessary skill to survive in a “proper Christian” community. Absolutely unhealthy.

My friend quoted this verse from Psalm 116:10:

I believe, there fore I have spoken. “I am greatly afflicted”.

Having anguish is not a sign of lack of faith. And expressing it is the declaration of faith, faith in God to be there, to hear, to care, and to be able to do something.

Dear God, help me to cry out to you from the depth of my being. Help me to be not afraid of how foolish I may appear to others. Help me to desperately hold on to you. And help me to be the one who accepts the rawest of people’s cry, and pray the supplication prayers with them. In the love of your son Jesus, I pray. Amen.

1 Comments:

Blogger strunny said...

i love how ken approaches this kind of thing. the man is grace walking.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home