Wednesday, April 26, 2006



Pineapple

I got a sudden and strong craving for pineapple a couple nights ago. So I stopped at Bush’s with a friend of mine who happened to be in the car with me at the time.

As we were browsing through the produce section in search of pineapple, we came across a salad mix called “Mache”. I’ve never had that before; it sort of looked like baby spinach. On the label it said “Mild, sweet and nutty”. Huh. That sounds interesting. I wanted to pick up some salad mix for lunch anyway, and it was on sale. Then my friend mentioned that she had had it in Germany while she was studying over there. That’s really neat. I was definitely getting it at that point.

The work next day turns out to be atrocious. I had an ungodly amount of work to do, most of which I didn’t know how to handle. I always look forward to the lunch break, but on a day like this one, it’s all the more precious.

So the lunch that day was nothing but wonderful. I temporarily left the insanity and peacefully grazed over my Mache salad. The salad made me think about my friend who I went to Buch’s with and a poem she wrote. In the poem she talked about carrying something someone said, as if to take a part of that person with her. I felt like I was doing that, too. By eating the kind of greens she told me she had in Germany, I was carrying a part of her with me. It was a good thing, because she happens to be someone who has the sweetest presence about her. I very much needed the tranquilizing presence of my friend. Though it had Japanese sesame dressing, the salad tasted like Germany.

Oh, about pineapple. It was great. But I think I’m allergic to it. My tongue got swollen up and it got itchy around my mouth after eating a few pieces. Bummer! I finished the whole container over a couple of days, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger strunny said...

that is awesome! i never thought of it like that (taking a piece with you)

2:57 PM  
Blogger B-Go said...

Yes, I loved reading about this... you are a beautiful friend. Thank you for that.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home