Wednesday, January 18, 2006


# 92 - This Is My Father's World

One of the devotionals Sarah sent me had a part of this song's rylic, and I loved it. I didn't know which song it was, so I googled the words, and it lead me to e-hymnal.com or something like that, where I found the whole song. Gotta love google.

1This is my Father's world, and to my listening ears all nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres. This is my Father's world: I rest me in the thought of rocks and trees, of skies and seas; his hand the wonders wrought.


2This is my Father's world, the birds their carols raise, the morning light, the lily white, declare their maker's praise. This is my Father's world: he shines in all that's fair; in the rustling grass I hear him pass; he speaks to me everywhere.


3This is my Father's world. O let me ne'er forget that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet. This is my Father's world: why should my heart be sad? The Lord is King; let the heavens ring! God reigns; let the earth be glad!

My favorite part is "in the rustling grass I hear him pass; he speaks to me everywhere". It gives me a very nostalgic picture of myself as a littel girl, looking up at tall grass swaying in wind, mesmerized. I don't know what about the wind passing through tall grass that so captured me, but that was definately one of the moments I felt the strong presence of God. I remember standing there by the filed alone, wondering if the wind would blow and make grass sway even when there is nobody there to watch it. The image of the wind blowing over an unmanned filed somehow made me understand in a non-rational way that there is the Creator who lovingly maintains the order of the universe.

3 Comments:

Blogger Faramir said...

I haven't sung or thought of that hymn for many years, but it was very much a favorite of mine when I was younger. The melody is very peaceful and sweet - a good match with the words. :-)

9:14 AM  
Blogger strunny said...

i am with you on all this! and i love that song...........

6:50 PM  
Blogger Megumi said...

So is this a fairly well known hymn, here? I wonder if this is translated into Japanese? I love contenporary worship musics, but also I have deep rooted affection towards old old hymns, too.

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home