Monday, January 23, 2006

My Heart Language

We are still reading the book on five love languages in our C20s Women group. I have been really enjoying this series. Today the chapter was about discovering our primary love language, and one of the paragraphs in the introduction grabbed my attention. It talked about one’s primary language:

“However, the language you learned to speak first, usually the language of your parents, will be your primary or native language. It has sometimes been called the ‘heart language’. Your native language is the one you understand best and communicates to you most clearly. You may speak very fluently a second language or even a third, but you will always be partial to your native language. "

On the way back from the group, I was having a discussion about this passage with Bethany (she is fluent in German). Then I realized something about my writing habit. When I write about my spirituality or something that matters very much to me, I hardly ever use Japanese. My native language is undoubtedly Japanese, but because I don't use it to express the innermost thoughts and feelings of my heart, it seemed a little odd to call it my "heart language".

This blog has been highly personal and intimate for me, and it felt quite comfortable to do it in English. I now keep online journal in Japanese too, but that one is much more superficial and never too serious. It's partly because most online journals / blogs my Japanese friends keep are relatively short (I presume it's because they often blog from their cell phones in Japan), and it would seem out of norm for me to keep an overly solem and lengthy entries. But I think the primary reason for my light writing in Japanese is that I feel too self-concious to spill my guts in Japanese. It feels too personal, and I feel too tender inside to dig around, analyze, and disect it in the language that I "understand best and communicate to me most clearly". Writing in English for me is in a way like putting on a persona, since it is not my native language. So I guess in that sense Japanese is my "heart language", after all.

I acquired most of my English skills after my pubity. I heard in my child and developmental psychology classes that there is a fundamental difference in language skills that are developed before and after one's pubity. There seems to be some kind of chemical that sets in after pubity and keeps us from learning languages like we used to be able to when we were little. So more than likely, the proficiency level of my pronounciation and other areas of my English skill will never reach that of the native speaker. I think I'm ok with that, especially now that I have realized English is providing me an unique outlet for self expression for the very reason. Because it was not present in my early years of development, English does not touch the core of my being in the threatening way Japanese does to me. The Japanese language must be closely tied to a bunch of fears that are under the surface of my conciousness.

I had never thought about it this way until tonight. Hmmm. I wonder if there will ever be the day I can express myself fearlessly in Japanese. If not, that's ok, too. I kind of enjoy writing in English. I'd be interested to find out what it's like for other people, though. I have newly developed respect for those brave people who pour out their heart in their "heart languages".

6 Comments:

Blogger strunny said...

that is crazy that you posted about this. i just read 1/2 of chapter two in my communications class book (which is freaking amazing for a textbook, i'll have to show you) and it talks a few times about other cultures and people from there and their self-perception and culture norms, i kept thinking of you, my closest friend who i can relate these things to i'm reading the best...anyway it's along the lines of what you're posting about here, and what an interesting trail of thought...it'll be cool to see how/where god takes you through life in regards to this... i bet this will be like a focal point, or some kind of beginning point... i should say i keep getting the image of a ball of yarn and you looking at it (real close-like too, holding it close up and examining it, and you look a little confused and curious) ...and you're pulling at this ball of yarn but only one string is coming out, a bit at a time...
he's never giving us more than we can take, right.

bla, bla, bla.
luv-u. -s.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Megumi said...

Hi, Strunny!

As I wrote this entry, I was thinking about your writing style. I love the way you write. You are very good at taking readers throgh your thougths and experiences. What I love the most about your writing is that it's very distinctively you. I can almost hear you talking, when I read your writing. Some people have very different "writing voice" from their "talking voice", you know? That's of course not a bad thing, either. But I just love being able to get on line and feel the presence of you, when I go to your blog or read your e-mail.

6:24 AM  
Blogger strunny said...

i came on here to leave you a comment and tell you i miss you!!!! :) just thinking about you this morning (getting ready for church sunday 1/29) - i hope chicago was good. i'm so excited to see where god takes you. and thank you for the wriiting compliments! i feel the same about yours, i totally know what you are saying. love you..........bless you..................! s.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Megumi said...

I missed you, too! I went to a pretty cool church in Chicago area on Sunday, but that made me realize how much I love and miss Vineyard! Of course I missed you too! I got your text message. What a great blessing to know that I'm prayed for like that.

5:42 AM  
Blogger strunny said...

:)

4:07 AM  
Blogger Megumi said...

Interesting stuff! The difference between "sender oriented" & "receiver oriented" language... I guess the "Ishin-denshin" or "communicating without uttering a word" is still very much a part of Japanese culture, especially in writing, it seems. Both types of languages have unique beauty to themselves, so I hope to be proficient in both! I'm really not getting any quality practice for writing in Japanese, though...

I liked your analogy of back-ground vs. fore-ground picture for these two types of languages!

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home