Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Eve

I had a really good Christmas Eve. In the morning Stephanie called me and we went out to get breakfast at Zingerman's in down town. She is moving into her new apartment now, and stopped by at my place during a trip between her parent's house and the new apartment. I was so glad she called, because we don't really get to hang out in one-on-one basis in our small groups or at church.

At Zingerman's, Stephanie got a pecan and cherry denish, which I must get next time. I had a wopping breakfast BLT sandwitch. It's basically BLT with egg, complete with a load of mayonaise and butter on the toast. Hmmm. Gotta love the artery cloggers.

While we were waiting for our orders, we looked around the store and saw $400 vintage vinegers locked up in a cabinet. I have no desire of ever getting it for myself or for somebody else, but I just want to know who buys that for what occasion. Do they use it for salad, or just sip it, or what? According to a lady who works there, "People afford what they want to afford. Some people have to have a car that costs 400,000 dollars, and other people get 400 dollar vinegar". Well, I guess so. Not surprisingly, $400 vinegar was not out for sampling, but Stephanie tried $30 olive oil with a piece of bread (I had a gum in my mouth, so I didn't try it. Darn). She said it was frutier than regular olive oil. I could see myself getting $30 olive oil as a gift, granted that the person has the appreciation for it.

Then we walked to the Acme Marchandise on Liberty. Stephanie helped me pick a gift there. I really like that store. They have tons of neat stuff I would never get for myself. But it's a good place to shop for a gift for the very reason. I like to give gifts that people enjoy, but would not buy for themselves.

We swang by Ann Arbor Art Center to see if Angela was working. She wasn't working then, but we saw some more cool stuff there, too. I didn't know Angela worked so close to my house. Just knowing that she works there makes the area of the city special to me. These areas made special by my friend's presence are increasing, as I get to know more people through the Vineyard community. Even if my friends are not there at the moment and I'm just driving by, I think about them when I'm near these areas and somehow feel safe. Loving thoughts about my friends evoked by these places guard my heart against random negative thoughts that could be going through my mind.

I used to think the notion of some places being "haunted" or "sacred" was superstitious. Now I think what goes on in a particular place could have a spiritual impact on people who enter there. So it's not meaningless to avoid places where I know bad stuff happen. Conversely, I like to make an effort to be in places where I can be positively influenced. It made me very happy when Garrett mentioned that he sensed a welcoming vibe in my apartment. I hope it will be like that for everybody who comes to my place.

In the evening, I went to the Christmas Eve celebration at Vineyard. I sat with Rochelle, Lori, and Jon. I wanted to prepare myself spiritually for the celebration, but I was running around like a head-less chicken all day, and I barely made it on time for the service. The celebration was sweet nonetheless. I looked around and at my friends, and was overcome by the feeling of happiness. It was amazing to be able to celebrate the birth of my savior with people I love very much.

4 Comments:

Blogger strunny said...

your day sounds so fun! i'm glad to hear you got to hang out w/steph too. :) and i missed not being @ the vineyard w/you all, but knox was very good too. sounds like your shopping sat. went good, i'm curious what you ended up getting? love you! s.

3:30 PM  
Blogger strunny said...

hey it's 12/28 thurs, just hoping & praying that you are having an amazing time in CA...miss you. :)

3:45 PM  
Blogger Megumi said...

I did have an amazing time in CA! I ended up getting a really cool book of facts about train and a calender for my host father. The calender is very neat, too. It was a collection of caligraphy art (which they are into) from old Jewish Bible. It was such a last minute effort, but it turned out great. Thanks for the prayer. It worked!

10:46 AM  
Blogger strunny said...

oh that is awesome how perfect!! and you're welcome! :)

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home