Tuesday, October 02, 2007

JOY

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2

When I saw this verse, I used to assumed the “joy” that was set before Jesus meant the glory of sitting down at the right hand of the throne of God.

This notion had made the verse seems irrelevant to me because frankly, the concept of the reward in heaven is not tangible enough to get me through disappointments and hardships in life.

I recently came across a friend’s blog that ruminated on this verse. A question was posed; “What was the joy like, which compelled Jesus to go so far as to the cross?” and it got me reevaluating my understanding of the verse.

Maybe the joy set before Jesus was not the glory but seeing what the cross was to achieve – salvation of the lost and deliverance of the captive? The glory was a bi-product or the added bonus and not the objective of His suffering…

To me this view is more in line with the image of God, who is love, and it helped my heart to open up to the verse.

There is only so much suffering a person can bear for his or her own sake. Human nature is intrinsically self-centered by the fall, but God seems to have planted in us the ability to disregard a significant amount of pain for the sake of others.

This is where the verse becomes relevant to me. When I witness God bringing healing and restoration in people’s lives, the joy that bursts in my heart is so powerful it blows away all my concerns and pain (at least for a couple hours or so). I don't think it was in my nature to be that moved by other people's affair, so it must be the doing of Christ within. Talk about pure grace. In fact, I think that’s the only thing that can kick my sorry butt out of the gloom I’ve been in for a while now.

Perhaps I’m finally learning not just in my head but also in my heart that I’d actually be a happier person when I live the “Seek ye first the kingdom of God” life. Living for myself, seeking happiness in who-knows-what, ain’t working for me no more.

So I echo the prayer from the Divine Hours below. Well my motivation for wanting to live for God and His kingdom is still fully self-serving, since I want that for my very own delight. But if that will keep me from going down the odious path of self-pity, then hey, that works for me.

Grant that I Lord, may not be anxious about earthly things, but love things heavenly, and even now, while I am placed among things that are passing away, hold fast to those that shall endure; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit. One God for ever and ever, Amen.

1 Comments:

Blogger strunny said...

wow, cool post. i went through the same thing w/that verse. actually i read today's devotional and that was one of the verses!

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home